Saturday, January 7, 2017

Costa Rica - Getsemani

Mountain Hideaway
Getsemani is a small town north of San Jose half way up the southern slope of the Barva volcano.  It's about 2,000 feet higher than the capital, rounding out at around 5,000 feet.  Tomorrow, I'll have 5,000 more feet to go - most of them hopefully by car.   It took me 30 minutes to drive here from work.
I rented a small loft from AirBnb.
Two cubes stacked on top of each other connected by a small staircase.


Most of the windows point south towards the valley.  You can see all the way across San Jose to the southern mountain range. 
There's not a single window covering so I'll be up by about 5am.  Perfect, since I need to get an early start.
From the back deck you can see Barva on the horizon.  Doesn't look to bad from this angle.
The San Jose sprawl doesn't feel as large as it looks from the mountains.

I tried and failed to get the telescope working - not sure what I'm doing wrong.
After settling in, I drove into town and stocked up on water and food for tomorrow's hike.  I also stopped for lunch at a Caribbean restaurant.  I went for the full deal: pork chop, rice and beans, salad, etc.  This type of food comes from the Atlantic coast, near Limon.  It's known for using a lot of coconut milk and a particular type of Panamanian hot pepper.  It's delicious and very filling - no dinner needed.
At 6pm, the sun went down and dragged the temp with it.  From mid 80's to high 60's in about an hour.



No comments: