Saturday, December 22, 2012

Palm Springs - Refuel

Elitist Breakfast
It didn't look like much when we checked in but the next morning in the light of day, our hotel impressed.  Dodo booked it using a chunk of award points accumulated through her travels.  Most of its charm was lost on me however, as my brain wrestled with the confusion of bright sunlight at midnight.



At breakfast I sipped my $9 latte and tried very little to fit in.  All around us were those who pretended to dress down but their blinding white $100 tee shirts gave them away.  I doubt my flagging ten year old fleece fooled them either.  I was the roach at the picnic, everyone saw me but pretended not to.

We inspected the grounds after breakfast.  There, in the middle of the desert, we walked through a mirage.  My jet lag was playing tricks on me, I told myself.  How else to explain this jungle?

Someone hijacked a nearby river or perhaps a two of them.  There was more greenery here than during our subsequent five hour drive to Tucson.


No comments: