Friday, December 28, 2012

Palm Springs - Redux

Shopping With Foreigners
Our morning view, onto a snow-draped Mount Jacinto, was amazing.  We headed to breakfast and shopping at a nearby outlet.

As far as desert vistas are concerned, Palm Springs has one of the nicer ones.  Jagged mountains, valleys filled with thousands of windmills and a deep blue sky.  As Dodo shopped her heart out, I sat at a McDonalds, reading.  I felt like I hadn't left Asia, all I heard was Chinese, Thai, Korean, Tagalog and Japanese being spoken by the tired shoppers surrounding me.  I didn't hear a single word of English the entire morning.


We drove downhill to Los Angeles in the late afternoon and fared better than we had a week earlier.  After checking into our hotel in Century City we took a short drive to a famous hamburger place called "The Apple Pan."  It looked like it hadn't been altered since the fifties.
I found it disappointing and promised Dodo that we'd be trying some better burgers in the next few days.

No comments: