Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hokkaido - Driving to the Rim

Man = Insect
On a late evening drive home we stopped at a scenic lake for phototaking just as the sun was setting.  Light flurries were being whipped about by a slicing wind.  I was so cold that I had a hard time focusing the lens.  It was a very large, round lake with a mountain range poking out of its depths.  I suspected we were standing on top of a volcano, at the rim of an old caldera that had filled with water over the millenia.  I shrugged off the thought, it was simply too big.
Later research proved me right.  Lake Kussharo is its name and it indeed is a caldera lake, the largest in Japan.  So big you can see it from a satellite photo - it's the sixth largest lake in Japan.  That mountain in the lake?  Nakajima, an active volcano.  The water is so acidic that nothing will grow in it, no fish, no weeds, no nothing.  Thinking back on it, I realize that the entire island of Hokkaido is nothing if not a volcano range with some crazy natives living there inbetween eruptions.

No comments: