Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Heidelberg - Dropping In For a Few Days

It Wasn't My Idea, Subtle Pressure Was Applied
Just a few days prior to my scheduled flight to Singapore I got a call from my Belgian boss who pretended to forget I was leaving.  Though I'd just reminded him the day before he played his game said it was a political problem for me not to go to Germany for a useless meeting with various useless people.  So, three hrs later I stepped off a French bullet train in Heidelberg.
It's a picturesque town of about 150,000 people in the Rhine Valley tucked against the Odelwald mountains.  Somehow it escaped the WWII bombing runs so the old buildings stand in their original state.  This is a shot from my hotel room.

I didn't get to see much, I spent three days there but was busy in meetings listening to people drone on and on.  I took these shots early in the morning prior to breakfast.
The town is famed for many things, big and small.  Foremost, the Heidelberg Castle, built in the 1400's is what most people come to see.  It's also the seat for the University of Heidelberg, which sits in the forested hills across the river Neckar, which joins the Rhine 22 miles downstream.  It's also where General George S. Patton died after suffering a car crash in neighboring Mannheim in December of 1945.
It was much chillier than Paris, it felt like winter was just around the corner.  When Thursday evening arrived, I hopped in a one-hour cab ride to Frankfurt and jumped on a midnight flight to Singapore. 

2 comments:

Sal said...

It really does look like a picture postcard in this shot.

FN said...

@Sal - it's a nice town, very picturesque.