Sunday, May 8, 2011

Brooklyn - the Master Plan

Will it Work?
Jean and I have worked out a big picture plan.  I'll be moving to Singapore at the end of July.  We plan to return to NY in the spring of 2014.  She's let her bosses know that she'll need a NY job at that point and I'm sure they'll oblige - she's a superstar.  Now, for the gamble.  I will be letting my Paris bosses know on Tuesday.  I plan to tell them I'm moving to Singapore at the end of July and am looking to cut down my travel significantly.  I will offer to be in Paris 2 weeks out of 8 and work remotely from Singapore the rest of the time.  I'll give them three weeks to mull it over and if they are ok with the plan, then all is good.  If they're not good with the offer, I will resign.


I would rather have my job when I arrive in Singapore.  It gives me more options.  I could keep it as I look for another or I could try to stick with it for as long as possible.  My NY bosses are looped in and are ok with my plan.  I didn't tell them that I'm tired of what I do, I kept that to myself.  However, I don't know what other job to do at this point.  I've lived a relatively monk-like existence given my income and I did it to give myself options.  I have more than enough money to take a break, though that's not the plan.  Will the Frenchies go for it?  No idea.  Will they try to negotiate my travel to be a bit higher?  Maybe.  I think secretly I want them to say no. 

2 comments:

Sal said...

Wow! That's quite a plan. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get what you want. Imagine, bi-coastal relationships are so yesterday; bi-planetary ones are the thing. Who'da thunk it?

FN said...

@Sal, you know it Sal! I'm dating an alien!!!