Sunday, September 13, 2009

Taking the Scenic Route

To Golf Practice...
It was epic. Four modes of transportation, traversing 9 Arondissements. Just to go to the driving range. Why? Why not. It's Saturday and I had nothing better to do. Besides, I got to ride a Paris tram, which I'd not done before. Click on the map for a closer look.


I started with a bus ride from my house to Place d'Italie. I then walked through the 13th Arondissement, which is known for being the largest asian section of the city. It was kinda strange, I walked out of old, ornate Paris into ugly post-modern 70's Paris. Nothing but tall, oppressive, dingy skyscrapers. After about a mile walk I jumped on the no 3 Tram.

It was pretty cool, like riding inside a giant light green caterpillar. We plodded along from the 13th, in the SE corner of Paris to the 15th, in the SW corner. Slowly, the ugly skscrapers gave way to the more familiar low-slung apartment buildings. I got off the tram and jumped two metros to arrive at the driving range.
I spent two solid hours practicing. Thirty minutes on sand shots alone. It was a good practice - I am going to need it. On Wed evening I head back to NY and then onto Raleigh, NC the following morning for my annual golf trip with Mike and his buddies.

5 comments:

Sal said...

I wondered about the NC leg of your roaming. I didn't think PG had an office there.

FN said...

We actually probably do have an office there, Sal. If you can make money on something, we're there - that's what we care about. Best thing is, we, as compared to our peers, are managing the crisis better than the rest? Why? Because we're so damned cheap. No raises this year, retirement plan ended....

Sal said...

Retirement plan ended?? Bummer. But I suspect you didn't really trust anyone but yourself to put away the retirement bucks. :-)

FN said...

Sal, that is true enough, I save money like I grew up in the Depression. However, I wouldn't be surprised if 401k matching is the next thing to be cut. Of course, that's only if my job is not outsourced to Costa Rica.

In Asia, they did salary cuts instead of layoffs, right Pingles?

The Puff Speaks... said...

Oh yes, it was the salary cuts in Asia. The problem is.. given the size of the company, there's really no proper HR.. so the cuts are not consistently applied. Some had cuts up to 25% while others are at 5%.. I also know of some "favorites" that were spared the cuts. Guess it's never fair in this world.