Monday, April 6, 2009

Myakka State Park

Looking for Gators and Other Things
We took a hike in Myakka State Park so PingPing could see some gators. We weren't disappointed in the least. There were quite a few swimming about in the river and we got a few shots. They looked totally disinterested in the goings on about them.

After our gator shopping we took a hike on the nature trail which weaves through the forest. As you can see, the palms are abundant.
One of the interesting things to do during the hike is climb a wooden tower that was erected to allow for the study of the tree canopy. The tower rises 75 feet, punching through the top of the forest. It was a bit nerve-wracking up there - you can feel the tower sway and move as others make their way up the stairs towards the top.

I was fascinated by the stuff that grows from the tree limbs (I forget the name of it - perhaps my Dad will add that in the comments section.) It hangs softly like fuzz and sways in the breeze.
Further along our walk we caught site of a hawk sitting on a low branch. I took a shot from afar that came out a tad fuzzy. I tried to get closer but he hustled away before I could get a clearer shot.
I took this close-up of some tree bark because I thought it would make a nice desktop picture for my laptop.
Near the end of the hike, PingPing got excited and motioned for me to come quickly. She noticed a strange looking animal foraging - she'd never seen an armadillo before. She waded in to get a close shot.

5 comments:

Dan said...

spanish moss. good shots

Sal said...

That gator looks kinda grumpy; maybe he didn't want his picture on the Internet....

FN said...

TOO BAD!! Everyone and everything goes on the internet! Remember that, Sal!

I will have my camera with me this weekend....

Hee hee....

MaCherie said...

That pic of the canopy is beautiful. And tell the Puffin no worries on never seeing an armadillo. I've never seen one in real life either.. :-P

FN said...

Mach, all those years in Texas and you ain't never seen no armadillo? How is that possible?