Sunday, April 5, 2009

Backyard Hustle

Oasis in More Than One Way
My dad's backyard is somewhat unorthodox. First of all, there is no grass - none. Matter of fact, he is anti-grass and anti-lawn. It's a long story but the gist of it is - grass is a pain in the ass and sucks up a lot of water and a lot of your time, so screw it. Seemed wierd to me at first, but I have to admit - it has sunk into me and I think it makes sense. If I ever have a lawn, I am going to plant invasive bamboo and let it take over. My dad sticks to plants native to Florida.

Speaking of invasive, he planted some kind of pond-loving plant in his pond and it took over. He is slowly hacking it out and spreading the remains on his garden.

He has some good stuff growing in the garden. Peas, tomatoes, cabbage, etc. This cabbage shot is actually from the front yard - he grew it inside a pot.

Ditto for the broccolli. Unfortunately, we just missed the peak of the orange tree production. He has an orange tree that gave off hundreds of oranges. He told me he had fresh-squeezed for weeks.

No comments: