Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Doubters

Pies for Gavin's Momma
Ping-Ping and I visited my friend Genique last night. The conversation bounced around from one subject to another until it landed on the subject of my cooking. Genique just laughed "Him? Cook? Wahahahahahaha..." She simply refused to believe that I could make anything. "I just cannot see it" she bellowed. Today, I decided to kill two birds with one stone - making some berry pies and giving her some blog proof. We got the blueberries and raspberries from Trader Joes, against my better judgment.


I got some mini pie-pans from a store on Atlantic Ave - didn't feel like making a giant pie.


The berries juiced up nicely after a bit of flour and sugar.


Yep, real butter in the crust - shortening is for suckers.


Handled as little as possible to keep it flakey.


I have stubby little fingers, so funny to see on film.


The three pies waiting for their lids.


Cutting off the excess with an oversized knife.


Just before the oven.... These slits proved to be less than good...


Fresh outta the oven. So juicy, spilled over a bit. We ate ours with ice cream - oh yeah. Hey Genique, your mini pie is here if you want it. I'll give you a few days to come get it - otherwise "GET IN MY BELLY!!"
Update: the last pie was consumed!!! Sorry Genique - too slow to respond, wahahahahhaa

7 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

Thanks Genique!!! Not for your laughter, he wouldn't have fought his sinus sleepiness to make this!!

Pie was yummy.. I have got one whole pie in my stomach. Happy... :)

Sal said...

Oh, I love to see the stubby fingers at work making pastry, the excellence of which runs in the family for 4 generations now. Bravo, Mr. Grumpy.

FN said...

Puff - glad you like it..

Sal - I wasn't too confident about these as I made them - the fruit was not so great. So, I sugared em up and added some lemon juice. I am pretty sure that last pie won't last until tomorrow...

Sal said...

But how was the pastry, Freddie? You didn't mention if it was light and flaky & melted in the mouth. Should, with all that butter. Mmmm.

FN said...

I will let the Puffin answer your crust question. I am biased, of course.

The Puff Speaks... said...

Hi Sal, the crust was exactly the way you described it.. light, flaky and melts in your mouth... Mmmm... We finished the last pie last night :)

Let's put this in Freddie's to do list for our next trip up to Syracuse! Yeah!

FN said...

Genique - you can blame your hubbie, he never gave you the link to look.....