Thursday, December 5, 2019

Ipoh, Malaysia - The Reason

It Seemed Like a Good Idea When I Signed Up...
I'm here for a bike race this Sunday.  A 37 mile long KOM (King of the Mountain) race from zero to 4,800 feet.  We start out in Ipoh and head up into the Cameron Highlands.  I will not be crowned king, not even prince.  More like pauper of the mountain, but it should be fun.  Not really fun, per se.  More like an interesting experience.


It's not like you can train for this properly in Singapore.  The highest hill there is a mile long and only goes up 260 feet.  I can cover that in 5 minutes.  This will be totally different.  It will be the longest climb I've ever done and should take 3-4 hours (just guessing.)  Yesterday I rode the first third of it to see what it's like.  The first 2 miles are a healthy dose of 9-10% grade but it appears to be more reasonable after that.  I am simultaneously looking forward to it and not looking forward to it.

No comments: