Thursday, November 2, 2017

Lima, Peru - Riding the Bus

Express
There is no subway in Lima, the next best thing is the express bus.  It's set up like a train.  The buses run on their own closed roads and you board them from a station.

You buy a metro card, load some money on it then enter one of the elevated stations by swiping your card through a reader and passing a turnstile.  The stations are long and which gate you use depends on the bus you want to take.  I got lucky - I picked the right bus without really knowing what I was doing.  I was headed a few miles north to the Miraflores neighborhood to buy a Peruvian SIM card for my phone.

The bus was packed - it was a double-length version with an accordion connection.  It sailed by the horrible traffic, only stopping once in a while for a red light.  Not quite as good as a subway but way faster than any other means of transport.

No comments: