Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Singapore - Garden Update

Fruitful
Despite 35 straight days with no rain, things are fairing well on the roof.  Most of the plants need water three times a week but the chili plant drinks daily.  I've eaten and harvested many green chilies and couldn't keep up - some turned red and I've got them drying in the sun for longer keeping.

Many more are on the way, pointing skywards until their weight and gravity turn them around.


The Thai basil cannot be caught up to.  No matter how deeply you clip it for the evening meal, the next morning it's back.  It flowers constantly.

For fun I bought three clumps of spanish moss and hung them from the pergola.  They seem to like the Singapore heat and humidity.  They dance about in the wind and only require the odd spray of water from time to time.  The trees are doing fantastic.  They're beginning to fill in and become thicker and they no longer show any signs of stress or pests.  I keep a close eye on them.

The most vexing issue of all is solved, I think.  I should probably go tap on wood.  The far end of the roof gets constant sun and wind and I've tried many things to no avail.  I may have stumbled into the right combination, finally.  The tall plant is called Sea Hibiscus and grows natively along the shores of Singapore and Malaysia.  Who ever imagined it would do well on a windswept roof?  It sways in the wind almost horizontally and then pops back into place.  It's known for its one day flower which opens in the morning and drops off by evening.  I've had about a dozen so far.  The periwinkle not only survives but thrives so I've bought many different colors for both pots.

No comments: