Thursday, June 6, 2013

Vézelay - Hilltop Town

The Natural Beauty Continues
On reflection I think I prefer the French countryside to the grit of Paris.  No doubt I am a city person but that feeling is not as strong as it used to be.  Vézelay is a small village with a large church perched along a narrow spine of hill in central Burgundy.  We stayed in a tiny hotel with a tinier veranda and a larger than life view of the surrounding countryside.

We passed through the solitary gate and up a steep cobbled street towards the church.

Parts of it date back to the 1100's and while it was an impressive building I found my attention drawn to the grounds.

I walked around to the back of the church, Dodo close behind.

Rolling farmland and vineyards in every direction.



On our walk back we stopped off at a small shop and loaded up on regional treats.  We ate dinner on our veranda: strawberries, melon, ham, Epoisses cheese and a bottle of Chablis.  


When we woke up early the next morning there was a thick coat of mist in the valley. We had a very French breakfast of croissants loaded with jam and butter and then packed up the car.  We were on our way into the Loire valley.


No comments: