Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Singapore - Language

Trying to Maintain
While in Paris I picked up French by osmosis.  I never got a formal introduction to the language other than a year in seventh grade.  Sitting in meetings all day long listening to French in a business context will only get you so far.  So, here in Singapore, I'm trying to fill in the gaps.  I'm taking a French class once a week on Monday nights for three hours.

The class is offered by the Alliance Francaise, which is a French cultural organization that has offices all over the world.  The Singapore branch is schwanks compared to the one I used to visit in NY.  It's just six subway stops from me and I can get there in about 20 minutes.
 
There are about 14 of us in the class.  It's quite a mix: Singaporean Chinese, Malay, Brazilians, Indians, a couple of Filipinos and me.  It's a intensive introductory class, which I am finding easy so far.  As the weeks tick by it will become more difficult I'm sure.  In addition to classes, they show French movies once a week, have a large library and a cafe.

2 comments:

Sal said...

You gotta love an organization that includes a cafe!

FN said...

Yeah, except they're French so they close early and never have anything you want in stock.