Sunday, March 14, 2010

Paris - Early Riser Buzzkill

We Open at 9am, but not Really....
Every weekend I wake up around 7am - I'm an early riser, I can't help it. It's horrible to wake up early in Paris, everyone else is on a different schedule. Nothing opens until 9am, and even that's misleading. Today I arrived at a restaurant at 9:15am but the "coffee machine wasn't ready" so I didn't get my coffee until 10am. In Paris, I'm forced to accept that type of bullshit as charming. I wanted to walk out but I caught myself. Where was I going to go on a Sunday morning? Most places are closed and those that are open are equally lame. On Saturday I walked to Galerie Vivienne in the 2nd to have breakfast. I'd double-checked the opening time of the cafe in question - 9am. I walked on purpose so I'd arrive at 9:45.

There should be tables and chairs in this photo - the cafe I hoped to visit puts seats in the corridor. I peeked in - only the chef was there, rolling pin in hand, with his back to me. All the chairs were on top of the tables. Printed on the window: Samedi, 9h - 18h. Yeah, sure, ok. 9am is when the chef is scheduled to arrive to begin working and even that is just a target.

On the positive side I got to stroll through Galerie Vivienne all by myself. It's a beautiful, covered passageway with ornate skylights and stonework.

It would've been nice to sit here, sip coffee, read my paper, peer up to the sky from time to time.

Maybe I'll try again with Puffin when she arrives. Perhaps 10:30am is the right time? I don't know - it's all luck and guesswork in this city.

Galerie Vivienne
2nd Arondissement
Paris

No comments: