Monday, August 3, 2015

NY - Day at the Beach

Adventures with the Car - Episode 1
While we'd previously agreed on a beach day, a certain someone had to go work for a certain company on a certain day otherwise known as Sunday.  I took one for the team, chin high I sallied forth alone into the unknown.  It was a bright clear day, hot, sticky.  Beach-worthy.


New York does have beaches, believe it or not.  The one I chose is an hour away, on the western edge of Fire Island.  It was created by that mad genius Robert Moses.  I disagree with a lot of what he did, but no complaints here.  Ten miles of completely open beach, nary a structure in sight.  No hotels, no condos, no nothing.
Well almost nothing.  He gets extra credit for laying down a golf course between the dunes and the bay. 


It's a small pitch and putt.  I played all 18 in an hour and change and shot two over.  Great short game practice.


Many of the holes have either a view of the dunes or the bay behind.


An hour away from NYC but feels like a million miles.  Rabbits relaxing in the fairways, deer rustling the bushes in your back swing.  



The beach is a hundred yards away from the 18th hole.  It's a bit jarring for them to be so close to each other.
I walked a quarter mile down the beach to a quieter stretch.  Pitched my umbrella, stripped down to my trunks and dipped in.  One moment the water was knee-high and the next it was up to my neck and sucking me out with all its might.  I had to kick so hard to get back that my legs are sore a day later.  Turns out there was a nasty rip current that day.  That's what the red flags in the previous picture denote.  Guess I shoulda paid closer attention.

No comments: