Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brooklyn - Sending Flowers Across the World

Dodo's Birthday in Mumbai
Why anyone would knowingly go to India during their birthday is a mystery to me.  Dodo is crazy like that.  As the boyfriend of a crazy girl I now had to figure out how to send birthday flowers to Mumbai.  Seemed like it would be simple.  I called the hotel, explained that my girlfriend was staying there and wanted flowers delivered to her room.  "Can you send us an email, sir?"  Email?  I'd just explained the whole thing on the phone.  Ok, no problem.  I send the email.  Next day, I get an email back requesting a xerox of the front and back of my credit card, a xerox of my passport and a form to be filled in.  Send that to India?  Are they crazy?

Luckily, one of Dodo's colleagues was there so I emailed her frantically for help.  Chingyi, one of the ladies I'd topped in the x-mas drinking contest, came to my rescue.  She forked over the needed cash to the concierge to get the job done.  I owe her, big time.  That's one big stand of flowers!  I didn't expect them to be so big, but now I realize how far your flower money can go in India.  Happy Birthday, Dodo.

No comments: